Wednesday 29 September 2021

Mom Chronicles #4

 When you have a kid, you spend approximately 99.67% of your time talking to said kid/s. It includes the time you are sleeping and talking to them in dreams or when they are in school and you are mentally planning the day for them or pre-empting their mistakes and tricks and planning around it, etc. 

So, in a nutshell, you're always talking to them. 

And you use a certain mom-language to do it. It's got modulations and frequencies. Like there is a frequency which instantly gets them disciplined, even if only for a second. Or the one where they know they have you wrapped around their tiny little finger!

When I talk to mine, I have observed that I end sentences with an endearment for him. Like bachu, kanna, beta, laddoo, baby, guddu, darling, and so on and so forth. 

If I'm annoyed with him, angry or frustrated or just plain helpless, I stick to his name! But with that modulation I told you about. That is enough for him to understand that he's entering sticky territory. 

Most often he'll defy it and there'll be war like few minutes. It doesn't diffuse on its own you know. It's a huge lesson on how fragile egos can be; Specially in parent-child conflicts and mind games. And boy, let me tell you, kids are unbelievably talented manipulators!!!! They know their way around very well. They also have different tactics for different people and different situations. Little imps, I tell you!

But I digress! Point being, we all speak a certain way with kids. And very often it percolates in our conversations with others too!

- I end up calling my husband 'bachu' sometimes, only to be met with very displeased glances and disapproval from the MIL (he he he)

- sometimes I call my maid 'guddu' and see her guffaw uncontrollably

- I called the neighbour lady "beta" ! She's at least two decades older to me!

You get the drift! These are regular minor ones and I tide over it and sometimes repeat these and move on like a boss!

But it was a slightly anxious encounter when I called a car-reselling-telemarketer 'baby' .... He was thrilled! He called me again the next day to just check if I had changed my mind and if I was now ready to sell a car I don't even have! 

Oh baby! 

16 comments:

  1. Hahah... Baby !!! Always something funny !! Keep it coming Smi !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are FUNNY!!! Your writing style is so easy flowing AND engaging too Smi.
    Keep writing beta ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always make me laugh! πŸ˜€πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice narration. About calling endearing terms to all and sundry, reminds me of my fair lady asking a vegetable vendor, aap bahoot chikna hai aaj, ( she meant chikku marwadi, kanjus etc). He said aaj maine dhadi banaya Bhabi. Like that be careful of what you say and what you mean hahaha. Frustration laced with heavy Love is what every mother feels. You have brought it out well in your Blog. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahha u are plain hilarious babyyyy...I could actually picture you saying this in person...keep writing..u are superr 😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha... I wonder what term.of endearment will I get from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Endearment what a nice term and coinage , it actually makes it cosy and hugs you all over , it gives you the feeling of strength , support and fortitude all rolled into one

    Be careful as to what terms you use to whom , when and where , lest you will land yourself in unsavoury embarassing situations though laughable on hindsight


    Keep penning your ammusing thoughts

    Keep this going , a stress buster for you and also for all of us

    Many cheers , be happy , stay happy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once said I love u to my boss while ending the phone call! This was never discussed.
    One post a week banta hai beta ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) hahaha. Very well written! Yes little children are adept at detecting change in tone and facial experssions! Amusing anecdote with the car wallah.. good he was a telemarketer and didnt know your address, else he'd shown up ! Keep at it, Laddoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice one Smi...love reading your blogs :) keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can just visualise thisπŸ˜† Waiting for more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reminds me of the time when I was at a party, hosted by a friend and I called his wife 'kannamma' a term of endearment that I used to call my niece (then about 5 years old)..
    Thanks for the nostalgia Smi..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huh!πŸ€” reason I call everyone with one single endearing name to avoid confusion πŸ˜‰ although I haven't gotten in any of these phases of life, but keeping myself prepared ahead of time πŸ˜‚

    Good one smish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So from typos in text, you've leapfrogged to verbal typos too!

    Lovely post though..I've seen the stern tone with him for a few seconds, before he decided to disregard it and run away to his next POA.

    When is the next one coming? 😊

    - Mingz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hilarious as always Smita...love your writing style. You should write more often. Motherhood can be so amusing ...sometimes ;)


    ReplyDelete