But here is an experience from many, that has found a few words :)
I had enrolled for an Art class a few months ago. It was supposed to make you "feel art" more than the verbs of it like drawing or sketching or colouring.
So this Art class was situated in South Bombay (So-Bo). So you now automatically know that it was very expensive. You also automatically know that it was chic, niche, different and specially curated for it's patrons ;)
But I had heard a lot of good things about this class and a few of my friends were sending their kids here too, so I presumed that novices like me would be trained to find good potential.
Of course I was in no illusion that I was going to become the next Picasso - but maybe an elite version of Majnu bhai nevertheless ;) ;)
Before my first session here, I received a detailed message from the Teacher's assistant listing all the items necessary for class. It came with a So-Bo caveat - buy everything from a particular shop and of particular brands only, because, just imagine learning to draw with Natraj pencils when there's Faber-Castell and Staedtler!!! I was far too invested with the fees itself anyway, so obviously I had to dig in deep and invest more.
I went to this shop and gave them the elite list. It was far too regular for them, they had been preparing this list for the students of this class for ages. So they just whipped out a pre-packed bag and whooped up a crazy bill. In my 40 odd years, the only expensive piece of stationery I ever owned was an ink pen worth 489/- from a shop in Bhutan!!! This was a bill almost close to 5 digits. You can only imagine how I felt standing in that shop. I could momentarily even picture the mixed look of shock, disapproval, disbelief, disappointment and fury on my father's face if he ever found out about this (omg that moment is here too!!) But, as I said earlier, I was deeply entrenched by this time to back out. So I apologized to Appa mentally and decided to move on. I also rationalised the use of all this stationery by my son and that kinda trumped everything. I was finally feeling good about my choices.
With everything as mentioned on the Assistant's list and instructions, I landed up at class.
We were 5 new students in this batch, all ladies and all from So-Bo only, ok….tee heeee :)
I too belonged I thought, but only slightly. Everyone was dressed like they were attending an English wedding, only designer hats were missing. I was dressed in a kurta. One of the students mistook me for an elderly student's chaperon for a bit too. By the time she realised her mistake, neither of us were embarrassed, because, come on, kurta ??!!!
After the initial introductions, the Teacher started with laying out the process - we would all copy a piece of drawing that she would show us and then she would assess our levels; based on which she would then formulate a plan for the rest of the sessions, that, in her words, "would help break open our shackles of un-imagination" !!!
To be honest, she spoke so passionately that I actually felt a little bit excited about breaking these goddamned shackles.
The drawing was that of a crow filling up the pot with stones! Ahhh, the classic!! She said we shouldn't conform to the standard and instead let our minds interpret it in different ways, while copying…..!
We started with vigour.
At this time, I was just brimming with unlimited creativity. So I decided that my crow would be blue and the stones would be diamonds. You do see how amazing this is, right!
We were soon done. 90 minutes flew by like the crow.
It was a strange first session but it was one with so much promise naa - like I love these "eclectic" experiences and this one was thriving in it .... Hehehehe. No one spoke much with me in the class because, kurta; but that made it easier for me to observe them and judge without guilt ;) ;)
Anyway, a week later we received a message from the Assistant saying the lesson plan would first be discussed in the class and THEN shared with us on email. The secrecy and the level of clearance here sure made me feel like a very highly rated spy (as a child, I used to nurture dreams of being a decorated, amazing, next level awesome spy, amongst many other things. Who knew God was listening!!)
So we get to class two.
The Teacher had laid out all our drawings on the table. She joined her palms and prayed quietly for 5 full minutes. Why? No one will ever know the answer to this!
The other ladies joined her in this ritual. I prayed too, but for different reasons altogether concerning my safety.
At last, she opened her eyes. She said she would tell us what Art is and what we need to do to "embrace art". But this conversation was aimed at being private. Because Art means different things to different people. The ladies were nodding. I was unaware.
But anyway, one by one the students were called in for this private tΓͺte-Γ -tΓͺte.
My turn was obviously at the end but it was finally my turn to get my honours ... Wink wink. I walked in holding my drawing. The Teacher was waiting for me with 2 glasses of chia-lemon smoothie! Because, why not!
Then, we proceeded to have a conversation which, you will find out at the end, was the reason for me becoming the Artist I am today :) :)
Here goes…..
Teacher: Art is real. Art is yours. Art is what you feel in your heART. Art is expression. Art just exists. Art is a fact. No Art is ever right and No Art is ever wrong. Art just is!!!!!
Me - mindblown and almost shivering: Wow!!! That is incredible!!
Teacher: But, darling, here, in your drawing, it's all wrong, sweetheart! This isn't what I meant by interpretation of Art!
And that, Ladies and Gentleman, is how I became probably the only Artist on this Earth, bearing a So-Bo stamp, that has actually converted an "No Art is ever wrong" to a full, complete and total “This Art is WRONG!!!!
Absolutely loved this! π The SoBo stationery, the kurta, the crow with diamonds, the five-minute prayer and that chia-lemon smoothie — every bit had me laughing!
ReplyDeleteNow I know where does tanay get his writing genes from!!
And that ending… “No Art is ever wrong” followed by “your Art is WRONG” — absolutely priceless! π Such a fun, witty and wonderfully narrated anecdote. More please! ❤️
Continue to wear your kurta!
ReplyDeleteThis is just too fabulous!! Could literally feel the SoBo ness or not so much of it through your lens!!! Laughed way too hard, the Kurta and absolutely imagining our parents even when we are full grown parents ourselves when we know we are in some soup but our mind makes us believe otherwise π π Keep writing Smita, you are too good
ReplyDeleteSomewhere Picasso just sighed and majnu bhai felt seen π€£ Moral of the story: Art is subjective..until its So-Bo art π
ReplyDeleteIs she still taking classes? Or has she specifically now said only for women in this radius should enrol.
ReplyDeleteHilarious!!!!
ReplyDeleteWish I could have read the “ blue crow with diamonds “ story to my Kindergarten kids.π.
Lovely write up Smita!